I figured it was probably time to introduce a food to everyone that doesn’t mainly consist of some sort of sugar. So when Effortless Styles posted an Effortless White Rice Recipe, I knew it was time to take this whole no oven or stove business to a whole new level.
If you’re a lover of rice, gravy, peppers, or onions this dinner recipe will be for you. The best part about it is you can make it all using only a couple of bowls, a plate, a microwave, and a quick trip to Outtakes.
At Outtakes you’ll need to buy a box of instant rice, a jar of gravy, a green pepper, and an onion. All of this will cost you about a meal and a half to two meals (and it will last you for about 4 or 5 servings of this recipe). Then, grab some vegetable oil, a plate, bowl, and knife from your CC desk.
First, chop about an eighth of an onion into medium sized bits.
Microwave the onions for 1 minute on high or until the onions are translucent. Pour 1/2 cup of water on top of the onions. Add 1/2 cup of instant rice to the onion and water mix. Place the bowl in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes. Then, let it sit for 5 minutes to absorb the water.
While waiting for the rice to absorb the water, chop 1/8 of a green pepper into small bits. Again pour about a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a bowl. Add the chopped green pepper into the bowl and mix so that there is a thin coat of vegetable oil over the pepper. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Microwave the bowl for 1 minute.
Pour about a 1/4 of the can of gravy (more if you’re like me and could eat gravy by the liter) into a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1.5 minutes. Pour over top of the rice and viola! You have a home cooked meal in your dorm.
- 1/2 cup of instant rice
- 1/4 can of gravy (any type)
- 1/8 chopped green pepper
- 1/8 chopped onion (red or yellow)
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine onion and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt on top.
- Microwave the onions on high for 1 minute.
- Add water and rice into the onion bowl and microwave for 3 minutes. Let the rice sit for 5 minutes.
- Combine peppers, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper into another bowl and microwave for 1 minute.
- Pour your rice onto a plate.
- Pour your peppers on top of the rice.
- Microwave the gravy for 1.5 minutes on high in a separate bowl.
- Pour over your rice, onions, and peppers.
- Serve and enjoy!